The XA Kid's Poker Journal

A blog about Life, the Universe, and Everything Poker

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Weekend Wrap-up

So I didn't play on Friday. I was feeling tired and out of it and after hanging around the house for a bit, I decided to not go. After the losing session I had the night before, I felt that I should play my next session with my A-game.

On Saturday, I got a good night's sleep, which is rare (even though I don't have anything to do every day until at least 3:30, I still get up early. It can be nice, but it's annoying when I'm only at 5 hours of sleep). I went off-roading and checked out a national park. I have some pictures (and the correct spelling of the park), so I'll post those later. One of them has to do with poker in an odd sort of way.

So I got home, got some dinner and I ended up watching the WPT. It was the Shooting Stars tournament from this year and Ted Forrest was at the table. He was masterful. When people call NL an art, you need to watch Ted play to know what they mean. It got me pumped up to play. It also helped that I was flipping though NL Holdem: Theory and Practice earlier, so my mind was in the game.

So I get to card club and I had a pretty good session. I'll admit that I got lucky a few times, but I really played well. I had AK twice and I played them both perfectly, moving in with the first one preflop and calling down with the 2nd one. My style worked well and I played the hands well. I manipulated my opponents and the pots. There was one hand I could have played for a much bigger pot, but I didn't expect the guy to check top set against my (hidden straight). I got some value on the river that brought a 3rd club, but I could have won a lot more.

So I'm +6 buyins for the night, which makes me +4 for the week. It's about what I want to average, especially since I don't play that long (my average session is around 5 hours). There's talk of having the club open for more days beyond Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I'm not sure about it because I would like to play more, but having this limit on my play is a nice little bit of artificial balance in my week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home